The other day I had unexpected company. Usually, I at least attempt to make the house appear what I call “surface clean,” which means the house is really dirty, but to an untrained eye it appears relatively neat. Obviously, there was no time to prepare the house before the company arrived. I tried to usher everyone outside to a sitting area so that no one would focus too long on the dust-laden shelves, completely unrecognizable dining room table (this is where I have created an office) and the sink full of dirty dishes. Of course, the problem with taking the party outside is that people have to come in to go to the bathroom, get a drink, get a band-aid, whatever—and when they make these trips inside they are often alone and then free to examine the house and all its gross imperfections inflicted by the inhabitants.
“So, the contents of your fridge consist of milk, vodka and leftover pudding pie,” said one of my guests.
“Well, I wasn’t exactly expecting company. I’m pretty sure there’s yogurt in there, too,” I said, as if this was an adequate defense.
This led me to think about what a person’s refrigerator contents say about them. Milk, vodka and leftover chocolate pudding pie might suggest that I like to entertain but rarely do, that I am slightly sloppy by nature, unemployed and probably eat out a lot. I wondered about my guests and what they must have in their refrigerators based on their personalities.
Suz, the gourmet cook with the fabulous everything, probably has cilantro in a cup of water, fresh tomatoes, a raw meat marinating in some sauce-filled tupperware, eggs, milk and all the necessary staples for whipping-up a delicious meal on a whim.
Ed, funny guy with a job at a good restaurant, probably has a styrofoam container of leftovers from said restaurant, a box of baking soda in the back and maybe a half-empty pitcher of instant Gatorade.
Tim, funny guy who I just met and know little about other than that he judged the contents of my refrigerator, probably has things in his refrigerator that don’t really belong there, like a box of cereal, peanut butter and maybe a bag of flour.
Can’t we just go back to judging people on their looks, the car they drive, the brands they buy and the job they have (or don’t have)? Life was so much easier when judgment was entirely superficial and limited to one’s appearance. I can put on a pin-striped power suit and appear incredibly capable to anyone looking to pass judgment. But now I apparently have to worry about the contents of my refrigerator, too? So, I guess my question is: can I buy power suit for my refrigerator?
Monday, May 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


HA! Dress your refrigerator for the job your refrigerator WANTS to have, not the job it has- right? I love it. If it makes you feel any better, whenever I look in my refrigerator I hear that line from Fight Club, you know when Edward Norton's apartment burns and they salvage his fridge and he looks at it and says, "A refrigerator full of condiments and no food. How embarrassing." I can't make a commitment to cooking in the week ahead so all I have are condiments that won't spoil for another ten years. Lots of ketchup of course. Afterall, I am a Katherman.
ReplyDeleteIf your refrigerator needs a power suit, mine needs a makeover. Not only is it condiments and no real food, but I'm pretty sure most are expired. Apple butter is too scary to actually pick up and throw out. But yet we keep the thing so we can have milk and beer that is cold. No judgment here; that's for sure.
ReplyDeleteI was going to go the obligatory Chuck/Fight Club route but I think your sister beat me to it. Drat. To Andee's point, Apple Butter is terrifying, but my wife loves it. Ewwww.
ReplyDeleteYou could just change to a mini-fridge. That way you could drape it in different sheets. You could change these sheets to fit your mood. Nobody wants to wear a power suit all the time. Except for Donald Trump and his family. Oh, and good call on Tim's fridge. You pretty much nailed that one.
ReplyDelete