Here is a g-chat transcript from a conversation I had with my sister, Tori, this morning about this blog:
Me: So, from whose perspective should I write from today and about what?
Sent at 11:01 AM on Thursday
Tori: Keep it from your own perspective - it's a baby blog.
Me: But I don't want to. I want to write characters!
Sent at 11:05 AM on Thursday
Tori: But no one will want to read about your characters if they don't first understand you.
I think you should work on building a strong identity for Quinn as the blog is called Quinnterruption.
Sent at 11:07 AM on Thursday
Me: But I want to write characters - which are all part of me.
Tori: Wtf? Who are you? Bob Dylan? Get over it - tell one of your favorite stories about yourself.
Me: Stupid! Overdone!
Sent at 11:09 AM on Thursday
Tori: Well don't make it stupid obviously - you call yourself a writer so tell it like one - Sedaris style.
Me: "you call yourself a writer" - bitchy? Yes, I think so.
You think coming up with characters and then creating a viewpoint on a subject is easy?
Sent at 11:11 AM on Thursday
Tori: No and I don't think writing a blog worth reading is easy either so start by creating a firm Quinn main character - it's most challenging, but the whole thing falls apart without it. You could do "Thoughts on Red Rockets:" and launch into story about your new dog and hilarious puppy school fiasco and then post photo of Bear.
Sent at 11:13 AM on Thursday
Tori: I know it feels generic and overdone to tell stories about yourself/ dog/ life but it's not like you are on a safari through Africa or have anything particularly crazy to post about - this is your life: you're unemployed, you live in KC and you have a dog. What is interesting about you is how you think about these things and what is entertaining is the way you write about it. The characters will develop as you work on this but forcing them will ultimately make them suck.
Sent at 11:17 AM on Thursday
So despite all plans to avoid myself, I am now trying to conjure up ways to develop this Quinn character more. Since this blog currently has one reader (Tori) I should probably follow her advice and reevaluate my delusions of grandeur and originality, which undoubtedly stem from the sadly unoriginal realities of my life—or as Torruption so aptly put: "this is your life: you're unemployed, you live in KC and you have a dog."
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I agree with Tori on this one. And I think following the lead of one David Sedaris is a great place to start. Sedaris can bang out 2,000 words on a trip to the grocery store and have you rolling on the floor——I personally know you can do the same.
ReplyDeleteIf you really want to develop other characters, to develop your skillz—it may make more sense to create their own blogs for them, and then link back to one another. I'll read all of them. Then they would have their own identities, and you wouldn't seem like Norman Bates or Tyler Durden (who is also somewhat Ninja like.)
that was some top shelf burnage.
ReplyDelete"What is interesting about you is how you think about these things and what is entertaining is the way you write about it."
ReplyDeleteThis is the golden nugget.
A comment from a friend of a special someone --These words may come from the youngest of a two brother family -- and you blogged exceptionally well. I have to agree with the younger of the two sisters (who displayed a wonderful way with words as well). Let us learn about Quinn first. Afterall, that is the reason we are reading your blog. Or -- this may be from the simple mind of a "Boy from Kansas".
ReplyDeleteI am no longer Anonymous but Bruce (if I can change my name). Sometimes I need to reflect on what I say or do. Many times I will look at it from a different perspective. Changing one's mind is OK. Even though Tori made some very good observations -- and I agreed in the end with her. I decided that was being self-centered on my part. This is your blog -- and you are the very creative writer -- write as you please on what ever you decide. You are the gifted and imaginative one with words and you are the professional -- so write what ever your mind -- heart -- and gut -- guides you to write.
ReplyDelete